Health & Safety
NHS Organ Donor Register - Organ Donation Campaign
30 May 2010
The CWU Health, Safety and Environment department along with the TUC is supporting the NHS Organ Donation Campaign.
More than 10,000 people in the UK currently need a transplant, of these, 1,000 each year will die waiting as there are not enough organs available.
The need for organs is constant. Currently in the UK:
- More than 10,000 people need an organ transplant,
- Of these, 1000 people - 3 a day - will die before an organ becomes available.
While 90% of people in the UK say they support organ donation, to date 27% have joined the the NHS Organ Donor Register.
More than 16.4 million people have joined the NHS Organ Donor Register, but many more haven't yet got around to signing up. So, join the NHS Organ Donor Register so that many more lives can be saved and transformed.
The campaign aims to:
- raise awareness about the success of transplantation and the urgent need for more organ donors,
- make it easier for people to find out more and join the NHS Organ Donor Register,
- encourage people to talk about their wishes with their family and friends.
Please show your support for organ donation by joining the NHS Organ Donor Register