BT Pay Campaign 2010
CWU Response to BT’s 'Dissapointing' Offer
8 June 2010
It was reported in the press on 8 June 2010 that BT had made a revised two-year pay offer worth 2% in 2010 and 3% in 2011.
CWU Deputy General Secretary (T&FS), Andy Kerr, confirmed that a revised offer was received from the company late on 7 June 2010. Andy said:
"We’re very disappointed that BT’s revised offer remains materially unchanged for this year in terms of pay."
“BT’s decision to leak their offer to the media today has also raised trust issues for us with the company. We will meet BT to discuss whether an improved offer exists but we will continue to press ahead with plans to ballot our members on industrial action in the absence of any real progress on pay.”
Reports in the Sun alleging that the CWU met with the company over the weekend are categorically untrue.
The CWU Pay Team met on 8 June 2010 and has written to the company formally rejecting the revised offer.
"We are willing to meet to discuss the scale and structure of the revised offer on the basis that there is scope for significantly improving the 2% increase in base pay in settlement of the 2010 pay claim."
Assurance to Members
The Sun article claimed: "Workers who sign up to the pay deal will also be spared the threat of compulsory redundancy for two years. And it is believed BT is also going to attempt to bring work back to the UK from other countries, such as India."
Andy has confirmed that the union will immediately reject any proposal that puts a timescale on avoidance of compulsory redundancy. The CWU has been in discussion with BT for over 12 months about the return of work from India. This has never been linked to our pay claim and will continue to be subject to separate discussions with BT.
- Keep a lookout for further updates from the union at your CWU email address.
- Support the campaign and debate the issues by joining the BT Pay Campaign group on Facebook: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128245953858340
- Visit the BT page of the CWU website: www.cwu.org/bt-pay-campaign-2010.html to access pay bulletins and other information.
- Q&A to help clarify some of the important issues: BT Pay 2010 Q&A (updated 25 June 2010) (Word document).
- Visit the branch website: www.cwunea.org/btpay.php for further updates.