Health & Safety
Movember Ė Help to Save Menís Lives
1 October 2012
Movember is an annual, international, month-long campaign, during November each year, highlighting menís health issues, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.
Central to the campaign is the novel approach whereby volunteer fund-raisers celebrate the moustache. During Movember, each volunteer fund-raiser effectively becomes a walking billboard for "Menís Health" and, via their Moustache, raises essential funds and raises awareness for Movemberís menís health partners, The Prostate Cancer Charity and The Institute of Cancer Research by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of menís health.
Fundraising and Support
In 2011, Movember raised over £79 million globally for the fight against prostate cancer and depression in men. As a direct result, male awareness of health issues has improved with Movember helping to spread health messages directly to millions of around the world.
Movember is working to change established habits and attitudes men have about their health, to educate men about the health risks they face, getting them to act on that knowledge thereby increasing the chances of early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment.
The ĎMens Healthí Awareness and Education Issue
On average men die five to six years younger than women. The suicide rate is four times higher for men than women and more than five men die prematurely each hour from potentially preventable illnesses. These are hard hitting facts; especially when you consider that there is no biological disadvantage that puts men at greater risk than women and according to recent research up to half of male cancer cases could be prevented by making healthy diet and lifestyle choices. The reasons for the current state of menís health are numerous and complex but it appears that the biggest issue is the way in which men think about their health; preventative health being something many men just donít compute. It is this issue that Movemberís Awareness and Education program is working hard to change. Awareness and education alters behaviour and mind-sets, it gradually breaks down barriers, removes stigmas and brings about real change.
Movember wants men to take responsibility for their health, prevent illness by leading a healthy lifestyle and understand the symptoms and signs in both themselves and others so they can appreciate when and how to seek help if needed.
Prostate Cancer Facts
- One man dies every hour of prostate cancer in the UK.
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the UK.
- In the UK 37,000 men are diagnosed every year, this is the equivalent of 100 per day.
- 1 in 9 men will get prostate cancer in the UK.
- 250,000 men are living with prostate cancer.
- 10,000 men die every year from prostate cancer in the UK.
Only men can get prostate cancer and the risk factors associated with it are:
- Ethnicity: African Caribbean men are three times more likely to develop prostate cancer.
- Family: you are 2.5 times more likely to develop prostate cancer if your father or brother has had it.
- Diet: if you have a diet rich in fat, dairy products and red meat, this may increase your risk of developing prostate cancer (and other health conditions).
- It is important that men of all ages are aware of their prostate and prostate cancer.