Health & Safety
No Smoking Day - Wednesday 13 March 2013
1 March 2013
Each year the British Heart Foundation help hundreds of thousands of smokers to quit smoking and begin a new healthier lifestyle. No Smoking Day launches on Wednesday 13 March 2013 with a brand new campaign.
Swap Fags for Swag
This year the theme Swap Fags for Swag is all about what smokers will gain when they quit - as well as improved health, their wallets will also gets heavier, and they can spend the extra cash on whatever they like - whether it's a fun day out for all the family, or a holiday in that place they've always wanted to go!
The main messages of No Smoking Day
- No Smoking Day is a good opportunity to stop smoking.
- Smokers can get help when they want to stop.
- There are health and other benefits to stopping smoking.
What No Smoking Day does
- Spurs smokers into action - around three quarters of a million people make a quit attempt each No Smoking Day.
- Appeals to smokers of all types - whatever their age, sex or social class.
- Publicises and explains the help that smokers can get when they want to stop.
- Captures the attention of the media with lots of supportive TV, newspaper and radio coverage.
What No Smoking Day doesn't do
- Try to force smokers to stop - No Smoking Day is for the three in every four smokers who want to quit.
- Harass smokers - it's not about banning smoking, or picking on smokers.
- Work in isolation - smokers need support before and after the Day too.
NHS Smoking Helpline: Call 0800 169 0 169 and ask for details of your local stop smoking service.